"EFFINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Effingham, county Surrey, 3½ miles S.W. of Leatherhead, its post town and nearest railway station, and 4 N.W. of Dorking. The parish includes a great variety of soils: in the N. part clay, in the middle gravel, and the S. chalk. The village was anciently much more considerable than at present."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]