"EGHAM, a parish and small town in the second division of the hundred of Godley, county Surrey, 1½ mile W. of Staines, 2 E. of Virginia. Water, and 19 from London, being a station on the London and Reading section of the London and South-Western railway. It is situated on the Great Western Road, on the banks of the river Thames, and comprises the north-western portion of the county, including a considerable portion of the Windsor Great Park. This parish is divided by the Thames from the counties of Bucks and Middlesex. It includes Runnymede, Virginia Water, Englefield Green, Egham Hill, Cooper's Hill, and Shrubb's Hill."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]