An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Ewell
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"EWELL, a parish in the hundreds of Copthorne and Reigate, county Surrey, 1 mile N.E. of Epsom, 5 miles S.E. of Kingston, and 13 S.W. of London. There are two railway stations-that on the London and Brighton line to the S., and that of the London and South-Western to the N.W. of the town. It is situated on the river Hogs Mill, and includes the district of Kingswood." (There is more of this description).[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"KINGSWOOD, a liberty in the parish of Ewell, first division of the hundred of Reigate, county Surrey, 6 miles S.E. of Epsom, its post town, and 33 N.W. of Reigate. It is a separate ecclesiastical district, comprising parts of the parishes of Ewell and Banstead.
The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £100. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a cruciform structure with a square embattled tower containing six bells. The church has been recently erected, at an outlay of £6,000, defrayed by Thomas Alcock, Esq., who is also the founder and supporter of the National schools."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.