"EWHURST, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Blackheath, county Surrey, 7 miles S.W. of Dorking, and 12 S.E. of Guildford, its post town. The nearest railway station is Gomshall, on the South-Eastern line, about 6 miles N. of the village. The parish is of small extent, but well wooded. The surface rises gradually towards the S. The soil is a mixture of chalk and loam."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]