"FARNHAM, a parish and market town in the hundred of Farnham, county Surrey, 10 W.S.W. of Guildford, and 38 from London by road, or 40¼ by the South-Western railway, on which it is a station. It is situated on the right bank of the river Wey, near the borders of Hampshire. The parish includes the tythings of Wrecklesham, Badshot, Runford, Runwick, Tilford, and Culverlands. The town, though small, has a thriving appearance."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]