Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Farnham

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Farnham

 

FARNHAM

"FARNHAM, a parish and market town in the hundred of Farnham, county Surrey, 10 W.S.W. of Guildford, and 38 from London by road, or 40¼ by the South-Western railway, on which it is a station. It is situated on the right bank of the river Wey, near the borders of Hampshire. The parish includes the tythings of Wrecklesham, Badshot, Runford, Runwick, Tilford, and Culverlands. The town, though small, has a thriving appearance." (There is more of this description).

"BADSHOT, a tything in the parish of Farnham, and hundred of the same name, in the county of Surrey, 2 miles from Farnham. The tything consists chiefly of hop grounds."

"BOURNE, a tything joined with Wrecklesham, in the parish and hundred of Farnham, in the county of Surrey, near Farnham. Here is an extensive heath."

"CULVERLANDS, a tything in the parish and hundred of Farnham, in the county of Surrey, 3½ miles S.E. of Farnham. It is situated on the river Wey, and is united with Telford."

"HALE, (or Heal), a village in the parish of Farnham, county Surrey, 1 mile from Farnham.

The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester, in the patronage of the Vicar of Farnham.

"MOOR PARK, a demesne in the parish and hundred of Farnham, county Surrey, 1 mile E. of Farnham, and 11 miles W. by S. of Guildford. It is situated on the river Wey, and was formerly the seat of Sir William Temple, whose heart was buried under the sun-dial here in 1698. It was here too that Dean Swift, while acting as secretary to Temple, first became acquainted with Stella."

"RUN WICK, a tything in the parish and hundred of Farnham, county Surrey, 2 miles from Farnham."

"RUNFOLD, a tything in the parish and hundred of Farnham, county Surrey, 2 miles N.E. of Farnham."

"TILFORD, a tything in the parish of Farnham, county Surrey, 3 miles S.E. of Farnham, on the river Wey, near the Bridge. It is joined with Culverlands."

"WRECKLESHAM, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish and hundred of Farnham, county Surrey, 1½ mile S.W. of Farnham, on the river Wey.

The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester, value £100, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Peter."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.