"GATTON, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Reigate, county Surrey, 2 miles N.E. of Reigate, its post town. The Mertsham station, on the South-Eastern railway, is about 1 mile E. of the village. It is situated at the foot of some chalk hills, and the river Mole has its rise here. It returned two members to parliament till the passing of the Reform Bill. The Romans are believed to have had a station here, and at Battle Bridge a conflict took place between Ethelwulf and the Danes, in which the latter were defeated. There are extensive quarries in this place, which supplied the stone for the building of Hampton Court Palace."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]