"GODALMING, a parish, municipal borough, market and post town in the first division of the hundred of Godalming, county Surrey, 4 miles S.W. of Guildford, 17 in the same direction from Dorking, and 34 from London by the South-Western railway, which has a station here. It is situated on the river Wey, and the London and Portsmouth turnpike road passes through the town. The parish includes the tythings of Binscomb, Catteshall, Deanshold, Upper and Lower Eashing, Ferncombe, Labourn, and several small places."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]