"HEADLEY, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Copthorne, county Surrey, 4 miles N.W. of Reigate, 4 S. of Epsom, its post town, and 2 from the Betchworth railway station. The village, which is small, and chiefly agricultural, is situated under Headley Hill. The parish contains a considerable extent of woodland and open heath for sheep pasture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £211."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]