"HORNE, (or Hourne), a parish in the first division of the hundred of Tandridge, county Surrey, 6 miles N.W. of East Grimstead, 6 S.E. of Reigate, and 3 S.W. of the Godstone railway station, its post town. It is a small agricultural village, containing Harrowsby borough, near which is the site of Thunderfield Castle, supposed to have been the palace of King Athelstan. Previously to 1705 it was a chapelry to Bletchingley. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value £450. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a spired tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum. There is a school entirely supported by the Rev. H. Poynder, M.A.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]