"KEW, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Kingston, county Surrey, 2 miles N.W. of Richmond, and 6 miles from Hyde Park corner. It has stations on the North London railway, and on the loop line of the London and South-Western, which here forms a junction. It is situated on the bank of the Thames, opposite Brentford, to which it is united by a stone bridge of nine arches, and has a steamboat pier. Previous to 1770 it formed a hamlet of Kingston parish, but was then made parochial."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]