An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Kingston upon Thames
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES, a parish, post and market town, and municipal borough, in the first division of the hundred of Kingston, county Surrey, 10 miles from Vauxhall Bridge, 10 from Hyde Park Corner, and 12 S.W. of London. It is a station on the South-Western railway. A railway diverging from the Windsor line at Twickenham also runs into the Old Town. It is situated at the junction of the New-Mill river, formerly called Hogsmill or Ewell, with the Thames." (There is more of this description).[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"HAM, (or Ham-with-hatch), a village and district parish in the parish of Kingston-upon-Thames, county Surrey, 2 miles N. of Kingston. It is situated on the Thames near Richmond Park. Part of the land is laid out in market gardens.
The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £100, in the patronage of the Vicar of Kingston. The church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, stands on the common. The register dates from 1832, when the church was built. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship.
There are infant and National schools built on the common. At Hatch is situated the National Orphan Asylum, built in 1862, affording accommodation for 200 girls, who are educated till they are fifteen years, of age, when the authorities procure them situations. In the vicinity is Ham House, built by the Vavasors in the reign of James I., and belonging to the earls of Dysart. It contains a good collection of paintings, including a portrait by Lely of the Duke of Lauderdale, one of the Cabal ministry, which frequently met here; several by Vandyck and Reynolds, and frescoes by Verrio. A fair is held at the end of May, chiefly for pedlery. At Robin Hood, a hamlet in this district parish, is a small chapel, built in 1838.
"HATCH, a hamlet in the parish of Kingston-upon-Thames, county Surrey, 2 miles from Kingston. It is united with Ham."
"HOOK, a hamlet in the parish of Kingston-upon-Thames, first division of the hundred of Kingston, county Surrey, 3 miles S. of Kingston, its post town, 3½ N.W. of Epsom, and 2 S. of the Kingston railway station. Hook, formerly called La Hoke, is of ancient date; it is situated on the Dorking road, and was made an ecclesiastical district under the Marquis of Blandford's Act. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester, value £80, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, which was erected in 1838, is a small structure, with a gable belfry, and is dedicated to St. Paul. There is a National school erected in 1869 by voluntary contributions. Barwell Court, situated about 1 mile S.W., is the principal residence."
"KINGSTON-GATE, a hamlet in the parish of Kingston-upon-Thames, county Surrey, 1 mile N. of Kingston."
"KINGSTON-UPON-RAILWAY, a township and village in the parish of Kingston-upon-Thames, county Surrey, 1 mile S. of Kingston, and 10 miles from London by the South-Western railway. It is a place of modern growth, containing many villas occupied by merchants and tradesmen residing in London, to whom it affords great facility, from its frequent express trains to London. The extension of the Hampton Court branch has also an intermediate station at Thames-Ditton. There is a church recently erected, and several private schools."
"NORBITON, a hamlet in the parish of Kingston-upon-Thames, county Surrey, adjoining Kingston, and 12 miles S.W. of London. It is situated at the junction of the river Hogsmill with the Thames.
The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester, value £100, in the patronage of the Vicar of Kingston. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The principal residence is Norbiton Lodge, formerly the seat of the Taveners."
"SURBITON, a hamlet in the parish of Kingston-upon-Thames, county Surrey, half a mile S. of Kingston. It is a station on the London and South-Western railway. The village is situated on the Thames, near Surbiton Hill, and contains several villa residences.
The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester, value £70. The church is dedicated to St. Peter."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.