An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Lambeth
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LAMBETH, a parish and metropolitan borough in the E. division of the hundred of Brixton, county Surrey, 1½ mile S.W. of St. Paul's. The London and South-Western railway has its terminus at Waterloo Road, in connection with the branch line between London Bridge and Charing Cross, and likewise a station and goods depot at Nine Elms, near Vauxhall Bridge, not far from which is a steamboat pier, and another near Lambeth Palace. It is connected with the opposite shore by Waterloo, Westminster, Lambeth, and Vauxhall bridges, and by the new Hungerford railway and foot bridge, on the site of the old suspension bridge, which connects the branch line above referred to with the Charing Cross terminus." (There is more of this description).[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"KENNINGTON, a district parish, and populous suburb of London, in the parish and borough of Lambeth, E. division of the hundred of Brixton, county Surrey, 2½ miles S. of St. Paul's. It is situated on the line of road leading from the metropolis towards Clapham and Brixton, and has recently vastly increased in population. " (There is more of this description).
"NINE-ELMS, a hamlet in the parish of South Lambeth, East division of the hundred of Brixton, county Surrey, adjoining Vauxhall, 3 miles S.S.W. of St. Paul's. It is a large goods station on the South-Western railway out of London, and a steamboat pier on the S. bank of the Thames near Vauxhall Bridge."
"STOCKWELL, a chapelry and populous suburban district in the parish of Lambeth, county Surrey, 3 miles S.W. of St. Paul's, and 1 mile from Clapham. It may be reckoned a suburb of London, and has already been mentioned under article Lambeth [which see]. Stockwell came from the Riverses, Earls of Devon, through the crown to the Chutes and Thorneycrofts, who had a moated seat here. There is an extensive ale brewery in the vicinity. The ecclesiastical district of Stockwell contained in 1861 a population of 7,265.
The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester, value £360, in the patronage of the incumbent of St. Mark's, Kennington. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has a steeple 106 feet high. There is also Stockwell proprietary chapel, the living of which is in the patronage of trustees. The Independents have a chapel. There are National schools, built in 1818; also the Stockwell Proprietary Grammar School in Park-road, Clapham-road."
"VAUXHALL, a suburban district of London, in the parish of Lambeth, county Surrey, 2½ miles S.E. of St. Paul's. It is situated on the S. bank of the Thames, at the spot where the nine-arched iron bridge, built in 1815, crosses the river. It is a station on the South-Western railway, and was once a seat of the Archbishops of Canterbury, called Faukes or Fox Hall, which being pulled down gave its name to another, Copt Hall, now the site of a distillery. Vauxhall Gardens were originally laid out in 1660 as New Spring Gardens. There are schools belonging to the Licensed Victuallers' Company, and Singer's extensive stoneware pottery. See Lambeth."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.