An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Leigh
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"LEIGH, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Reigate, county Surrey, 3 miles S.W. of Reigate, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Mole, and is wholly agricultural. The land is chiefly meadow and pasture.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £146. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew the Great, is an ancient structure. The interior contains brasses of the Arderne family, bearing date 1480. There are National schools. Leigh Place, formerly the seat of the Ardernes, is now a farmhouse."
"DAWES GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Leigh, in the county of Surrey, 3 miles S.W. of Reigate. It is situated near the river Mole."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.