"LINGFIELD, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Tandridge, E. division of county Surrey, 3½ miles N. of East Grinstead, its post-town, and 4 S. of the Godstone railway station. The village, which is considerable, is chiefly agricultural. About 2½ miles E. of the village is Sterburgh Castle, originally built in the time of Edward III., but dismantled by order of the parliament. The parish, which is of large extent, is separated from the county of Kent by the river Eden. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable, pasture, and meadow, with above 1,000 acres of woodland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]