An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Lingfield


The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868



"LINGFIELD, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Tandridge, E. division of county Surrey, 3½ miles N. of East Grinstead, its post-town, and 4 S. of the Godstone railway station. The village, which is considerable, is chiefly agricultural. About 2½ miles E. of the village is Sterburgh Castle, originally built in the time of Edward III., but dismantled by order of the parliament. The parish, which is of large extent, is separated from the county of Kent by the river Eden. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable, pasture, and meadow, with above 1,000 acres of woodland.

The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £160. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, was erected in 1431 by Reginald Lord Cobham. It has a tower at the W. end of the S. aisle surmounted by a spire. The interior of the church contains some antique monuments, several brasses, and an altar tomb. The Independents and Baptists have places of worship. There are National and Infant schools for both sexes, also a lending library. The principal residence is Lingfield Hall, built on the site of the old castle by Sir James Burrow, and considerably enlarged by Sir Thomas Turton. In Plaistow-street, near the church, is an ancient stone obelisk of two stones with niches in its sides. A farmhouse now occupies the site of Lord Cobham's College, which had a revenue at the Dissolution of £79 158. 10d."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.