"MALDEN, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Kingston, county Surrey, 2 miles S.E. of Kingston, its post town, and 2 N.W. of Ewell. It is a station on the Epsom and Leatherhead branch of the South-Western railway. The village, which is small, is situated on a rapid stream called the Hogg's Mill. It is wholly agricultural, but extensive powder mills have been established in the parish. Merton College was founded here in 1264 by Walter de Merton, Bishop of Rochester, but afterwards removed to Oxford. Malden is mentioned in Domesday Survey as Maeldane. The land is chiefly arable, with some woodland and common. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent- charge of £240, and the vicarial for £75."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]