"MERROW, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Woking, county Surrey, 2 miles N.E. of Guildford, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the road from Leatherhead to Guildford, under Merrow-Down, and is wholly agricultural. The land is partly in common and woodland, and contains several plantations. The Guildford race-course is situated within this parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £250."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]