An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Merrow
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"MERROW, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Woking, county Surrey, 2 miles N.E. of Guildford, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the road from Leatherhead to Guildford, under Merrow-Down, and is wholly agricultural. The land is partly in common and woodland, and contains several plantations. The Guildford race-course is situated within this parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £250.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value £221. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, has a spired tower. It was rebuilt in 1842 on the old foundation. The E. end of the S. aisle is set apart as a burial-place for the Onslow family. There is a National school. Earl Onslow is lord of the manor and sole landowner."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.