An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Merstham
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"MERSTHAM, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Reigate, county Surrey, 3½ miles N.E. of Reigate, its post town. It is a station on the South-Eastern railway. There is a tram railway to Wandsworth belonging to the Brighton Company. Pilgrim's Lane passes through on the way to Canterbury. There are some excellent quarries of stone called Reigate stone. The land is chiefly arable and meadow, with some fine orchards and gardens. At Feather's Inn is a well 210 feet deep. Lime is burnt here, and chalk marl dug. The Brighton railway intersects the parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £574.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £476, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, was erected in the reign of Henry VI., and has a tower surmounted by a wooden spire. It contains some monuments of the Joliffe family, and an antique font. There are also four brasses of the Chuebryggs, the earliest bearing date 1473. The charities share with Reigate. There is a subscription school for both sexes."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.