Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Mickleham

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Mickleham

 

MICKLEHAM

"MICKLEHAM, (or Littleborough), a parish in the second division of the hundred of Copthorne, county Surrey, 2½ miles N. of Dorking, its post town, and 2 S.E. of Leatherhead. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Mole under Box Hill and Mickleham Downs. It is mentioned in Domesday Survey as Micleham, at which time it was held by Bishop Odo. It consists principally of one street of well-built houses and a few scattered villa residences. During the summer months the bed of the river may be crossed in certain places. From the top of Box Hill, so called from the box trees planted on its southern declivity by the Earl of Arundel, in the reign of Charles I., a fine view is obtained. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £425.

The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £440. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was built prior to the conquest, and was restored in 1823. It has a low square tower crowned with a spire, and contains a clock and three bells- The interior is beautifully fitted up, and the chancel divided from the nave by an oak screen. The pulpit is of oak with carved panels, and there are several stained windows. The register dates from 1549. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. In the vicinity of Boxhill, about 1½ mile S.E. of the village, are numerous places called "Swallows," which have communication with the river Mole. Norbury Park, the principal residence, is situated on rising ground, the river Mole flowing through its grounds. The Roman way Stane Street from Sussex passed over Mickleham Downs, and there are remains of an ancient chapel at Chapel Farm.

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.