"MITCHAM, a parish and post town in the second division of the hundred of Wallington, county Surrey, 4 miles N. W. of Croydon, and 9 S.W. of Westminster Bridge. It is a station on the Wimbledon and Croydon branch of the London and South-Western railway. The village, which is extensive, is situated on the road to Reigate, and on the river Wandle, celebrated for its trout."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]