"MORDON, (or Morden), a parish and post town in the second division of the hundred of Wallington, county Surrey, 1 mile S. of Mitcham, and 5 miles N.W. of Croydon. It is a station on the Wimbledon branch of the London and Brighton railway. The village, which is small and chiefly agricultural, is situated near the river Wandle and the Epsom road. There are two tobacco and snuff mills, which give employment to a portion of the inhabitants. About half the land is arable, and the remainder grass and garden ground. The manor belonged to Westminster Abbey prior to the Norman conquest. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £420."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]