"MORTLAKE, a parish in the W. division of the hundred of Brixton, county Surrey, 2 miles E. of Richmond, and the same distance S.E. of Brentwood. It has stations on the Windsor and Richmond and Thames Valley branches of the London and South-Western railway. It is situated on the S. bank of the river Thames, and on the road from London to Richmond, and includes part of Richmond park. "
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]