"NEWDIGATE, a parish in the second division of Copthorne hundred, county Surrey, 5,q, miles S. by E. of Dorking, its post town. The parish, which is wholly agricultural, includes the hamlet of Parkgate. It formerly belonged to the Albini, Fitzalan, and other distinguished families. The village is small, but neatly built. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £580."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]