An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Ockley
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"OCKLEY, (or Stone Street), a parish in the first division of Wotton hundred, county Surrey, 7 miles S. by W. of Dorking, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Roman and modern road to Arundel, and is wholly agricultural. On Holmbury Hill are traces of a Roman encampment.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
On Ockley Green the Saxons under Ethelwolf, about 851, defeated the Danes. From the summit of Leith Hill, distant about 2 miles N. of the village, a view is commanded, embracing as many as fourteen counties, including the environs of London and a sea prospect; the view is further extended by ascending the monument which stands on the hill. The S. side of the hill only is in this parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £539, and the glebe comprises 130 acres.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £539, in the patronage of Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret. There is a parochial school with a small endowment. Ockley Court is the principal residence, at which is a meet for the Horsham hounds.
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.