Hide

Oxted History

hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

OXTED, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Tandridge, county Surrey, 3 miles N.E. of Godstone, its post town, and 10 S.E. of Croydon. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. There is a brewery. Near two-thirds of the land is arable, the remainder meadow, pasture, and woodland, with about 47 acres of hop grounds. In the neighbourhood are numerous ponds. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £770, and the glebe comprises about 36 acres of land.

The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £624. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a square embattled tower and turret containing five bells. It was much damaged by fire in 1719, but has been repaired, and a new gallery put up on the S. side in 1838. The chancel contains two brasses of the 14th century. The parochial charities produce about £33 per annum.

There are National and infant schools. An evening school for adults was erected at Hall Hill in 1837, at a cost of £400. The Baptists have a place of worship. Charles Legh Hoskins Master, Esq., and Edward Kelsey, Esq., are lords of the manor. At Barrow Green, in this parish, is a very large barrow.

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.