An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Pepper Harrow
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"PEPPER HARROW, (or Peper-harow), a parish in the first division of the hundred of Godalming, county Surrey, 2½ miles W. of Godalming, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Wey. The surface is well wooded, and about a third unenclosed.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, was considerably enlarged, and a tower added, in 1826, by the late Viscount Midleton. Peper-Harow Park, the residence of Viscount Midleton, contains portraits of the Brodricks, and of Charles V. by Titian.
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.