"PETERSHAM, a parish in the first division of Kingston hundred, county Surrey, 2 miles N. of Kingston, and 12 S.W. of London. It is situated on the southern bank of the river Thames. The village, which is of small extent, may be considered a suburb of Richmond. Petersham derives its name from having belonged to the abbey of St. Peter's, Chertsey. It gives the title of viscount to the family of Stanhope, Earls of Harrington."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]