"PIRBRIGHT, (or Purbright), a parish in the first division of Woking hundred, county Surrey, 6 miles N.W. of Guildford, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Woking railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the Basingstoke canal, and on the line of the South Western railway, both of which pass through the parish. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture, with a considerable extent of woodland and common. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £380."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]