"PUTNEY, a parish and post town in the W. division of Brixton hundred, county Surrey, 4½ miles from Hyde Park Corner, and 6 S.W. of St. Paul's. It has a station on the Richmond and Windsor railway. Steamboats ply to and from London during the summer season. It is a suburban district of the metropolis, situated on the S. bank of the river Thames, opposite Fulham. The parish contains the hamlet of Roehampton. It is mentioned in Domesday Book as Putelei, and was subsequently called Puttenheath, since contracted into its present name."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]