"PUTTENHAM, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Godalming, county Surrey, 4 miles W. of Guildford, its post town and nearest railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated under the Hog's Back hills, and is chiefly agricultural. The land is partly in common, but the greater part is arable. On the hills the soil is chiefly chalk, but in other places sand or a sandy loam."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]