"REIGATE, a parish, post and market town, municipal and parliamentary borough, in the hundred of the same name, county Surrey, 2 miles from Redhill, 11 E. of Guildford, and 21 S.W. of London. It is a station on the Reading branch of the South-Eastern railway. This place, which is of considerable antiquity, is mentioned in Domesday Book as Cherche felle, and was subsequently called Church-field in Reigate. It is situated upon a rocky eminence, intersected by a branch of the river Mole, and near the head of Holmesdale. "
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]