"ROTHERHITHE, (or Rotherhithe St. Mary, or Redriff) a parish in the division of Brixton hundred, county Surrey, 2 miles S.E. of St. Paul's, and 1 mile S.E. of Southwark, within which borough it is situated. This place, colloquially called Redriff; was anciently a village and marsh on the S. side of the river Thames, between the Pool and Limehouse reaches, but is now an extensive suburb of London, containing about 25,000 inhabitants. "
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]