"SANDERSTEAD, a parish in the first division of Wallington hundred, county Surrey, 3 miles S.E. of Croydon, its post town, and 13 from London. Here was formerly a college for priests, founded by Reginald Lord Cobham in the reign of Henry VI., the revenue of which at the Dissolution was valued at £79 15s. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The Surrey hounds meet in the neighbourhood. The parish is intersected by the line of the London and Brighton railway. The surface is well wooded, and the land chiefly arable, with a small proportion of meadow and pasture."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]