"SEAL, a parish in the hundred of Farnham, county Surrey, 3 miles N.E. of Farnham, and 2 S. of the Ash railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Hog's Back range of hills, and is chiefly agricultural. The parish comprises the hamlet of Tongham. About a fourth of the surface is unenclosed waste, and half the remainder arable, with about 50 acres of bop grounds. The soil upon the hills is chalk, and in other parts sand and clay. There are some extensive chalk pits. The appropriate tithes, belonging to the Archdeacon of Surrey, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £377. "
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]