An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Seal
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SEAL, a parish in the hundred of Farnham, county Surrey, 3 miles N.E. of Farnham, and 2 S. of the Ash railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Hog's Back range of hills, and is chiefly agricultural. The parish comprises the hamlet of Tongham. About a fourth of the surface is unenclosed waste, and half the remainder arable, with about 50 acres of bop grounds. The soil upon the hills is chalk, and in other parts sand and clay. There are some extensive chalk pits. The appropriate tithes, belonging to the Archdeacon of Surrey, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £377.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester, value £44, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Surrey. The church has a low tower containing three bells. With the exception of the chancel, it was rebuilt in 1861, and has several stained windows, also monuments of the Long and Woodroffe families. There is also a church at Tongham, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £100, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Surrey.
"TONGHAM, a hamlet in the parish of Seal, hundred of Farnham, county Surrey, 1 mile N.W. of Seal, and 3 miles N.E. of Farnham. It is a station on the Alton and Farnham branch of the South-Western railway. It is situated on the river Blackwater."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.