"SHALFORD, a parish in the first division of Blackheath hundred, county Surrey, 1 mile S.E. of Guildford, its post town. It is a station on the Reading and Reigate branch of the South-Eastern railway. The village is situated on the Wey and Arun Junction canal. On Catherine Hill are the remains of a chapel founded in Henry III.'s time. There are three tanneries and two breweries. The land is partly in hop grounds."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]