"SHERE, a parish in the second division of Blackheath hundred, county Surrey, 6 miles S.E. of Guildford, its post town, and 1 mile from the Gumshall railway station. The village, which is large and chiefly agricultural, is situated on the road from Guildford to Dorking, and on the Tillingburn, a branch of the river Wey. The parish includes Shere Eboracum, which belonged to the house of York, and was held by the Butlers and Touchets, and given by Henry VII. to Sir R. Bray. Several houses have recently been built on the heath, which occupies above a third of the parish. The remainder of the land, which is enclosed and under cultivation, is fertile. Courts leet and manor are occasionally held by the lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]