An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Shere
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"SHERE, a parish in the second division of Blackheath hundred, county Surrey, 6 miles S.E. of Guildford, its post town, and 1 mile from the Gumshall railway station. The village, which is large and chiefly agricultural, is situated on the road from Guildford to Dorking, and on the Tillingburn, a branch of the river Wey. The parish includes Shere Eboracum, which belonged to the house of York, and was held by the Butlers and Touchets, and given by Henry VII. to Sir R. Bray. Several houses have recently been built on the heath, which occupies above a third of the parish. The remainder of the land, which is enclosed and under cultivation, is fertile. Courts leet and manor are occasionally held by the lord of the manor.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value in the king's book, £26 1s. 5½d. The church, dedicated to St. James, has a tower and shingle spire rising from the centre, and containing six bells. The church has several painted windows, and three brasses bearing date from 1421, also tombs of Lord Audley, the Duncombes, and the Sheres, of Share House. The parochial charities produce about £36 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. E. Bray, Esq., is lord of the manor. William Bray, the antiquary and county historian, was born and lies buried here.
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.