An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Southwark
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"SOUTHWARK, comprises the parishes of St. Saviour, St. Thomas, St. Olave, and Christ Church, it is an ancient parliamentary borough, forming one of the great divisions of the metropolis, locally in the E. division of Brixton hundred, and Lambeth union, county Surrey. It is situated on the south-eastern bank of the Thames, opposite the City of London, to which it is joined by the London, Southwark, and Blackfriars bridges, and the Thames tunnel." (There is more of this description).[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.