"ST. MARTHA-ON-THE-HILL, (or Martyr-hill), a parish in the first division of the hundred of Blackheath, county Surrey, 2½ miles S.E. of Guildford, its post town. At the village of Chilworth in this parish is a station on the Reading branch of the South-Eastern railway. At the time of the Domesday Survey it belonged to the Bishop of Bayeux, and was annexed to his manor of Bramley. The present proprietors are Lord Lovaine and Sir H. Austin, Bart. The village of Chilworth consists of about a dozen houses; but there are two paper mills, and a gunpowder-mill on a branch of the river Wye."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]