Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Staines

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Staines

 

STAINES

"STAINES, a parish, post, and market town in the hundred of Spelthorne, county Middlesex, but also containing places in the county of Surrey,6 miles S.E. of Windsor, and 18 S.W. of London. It is a station on the London and South-Western railway. This place, which is of great antiquity, is situated on the S. bank of the Thames, at the spot where a stone bearing the date 1285 marks the bounds of the jurisdiction of the corporation of London over the river to the W. It is believed to occupy the site of the Roman station Ad Pontes, and was the Saxon Stane, on the way to Silchester. Previously to 1227 the parish formed part of an extensive forest, extending to Hounslow. The bridge which here crosses the Thames was erected in 1832, at a cost of £40,000, in lieu of an ancient one. The town, which has been much improved of late, consists principally of one wide street, with houses on either side of the highway, and several smaller streets branching from it. Petty sessions are held at the "Clarence Hotel" once a month. The town is not incorporated, but is a lordship of the crown, governed by two constables and four headboroughs. A literary and scientific institute was erected in 1836. There are extensive mustard mills and a brewery.

The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of London, value £304, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1828, with the exception of the tower, which was erected by Inigo Jones in 1631, and contains a clock and eight bells. It had formerly a guild or chantry, founded by Lord Berners in 1656. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. There are National and infant schools. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Society of Friends have chapels. Yoveney, Hammonds, Duncroft House, Shortwood Common, and Withygate are the principal residences. R. Taylor, Esq., is lord of the manor. Races take place yearly. Market day is on Friday. Fairs are held on 11th May and 19th September."

"STROUD GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Staines, hundred of Spelthorne, county Surrey, 2 miles S.W. of Staines, near the confluence of the Colne with the Thames."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.