"STOKE-D'ABERNON, a parish in the second division of Elmbridge hundred, county Surrey, 2 miles S.E. of Cobham, its post town, and 4 S.W. of Esher railway station. The village is situated on the river Mole, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Oxshot, and was formerly the seat of the D'Abernons, the Brays, and Vincents. The land is partly in common. There is a mineral well, called Jessop's, in the neighbourhood."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]