"THORPE, a parish in the second division of Godley hundred, county Surrey, 2 miles N.W. of Chertsey, its post town, 2 S.W. of Staines, and 1½ mile S.E. of Egham. The village is situated on the river Thames, which here receives several tributaries, which are the means of driving two mills. The soil consists of loam and gravel, with a subsoil of gravel and clay. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester, value £141. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains several brasses and tablets. It was restored in 1854. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There are National and Sunday schools. Thorpe Lee, Thorpe House, Thorpe Place, and Eastly End, are the principal residences. The Rev. H. L. Bennett, M.A., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]