"WALTON-ON-THE-HILL, a parish in the first division of Copthorne hundred, county Surrey, 4¼ miles S.E. of Epsom, its post town, and 3 from Betchworth. It is a station on the London and South-Eastern railway. The village is situated between Epsom and Reigate, about a mile from the Brighton road through Sutton, and on the Roman way Stane Street. It was formerly a Roman station, where many relics of antiquity have been discovered. The surface is hilly, and comprises a considerable portion of open down and common, abounding in heath and various rare plants. There is a mineral spring. From the southern extremity of the parish a view is obtained of the Surrey hills and Sussex downs. The old manor house, called Walton Place, and which was once strongly fortified, is now a farmhouse. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £346. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was rebuilt in 1826. It has an old leaden font. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. There is a National school. C. H. Carew, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]