"WALTON-UPON-THAMES, a parish in the first division of Elmbridge hundred, county Surrey, 4 miles W. of Hampton Court, 3 N.W. of Esher, and 17 S.W. of London. It is a station on the South-Western railway. The village is situated on the banks of the Thames, near the bridge of 15 arches, the centre of which fell in 1859."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]