"WANBOROUGH, a parish in the first division of Woking hundred, county Surrey, 4 miles W. of Guildford. The village is situated under the ridge of hills called the Hog's Back, which intersect the parish. The soil is light, and a third part of the land is coppice or open common. There are several chalk-pits in this parish, which is tithe-free and exempt from ecclesiastical jurisdiction."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]