"WANDSWORTH, a parish, town, and suburban district of the metropolis, in the W. division of Brixton hundred, county Surrey, 3¾ miles from Vauxhall Bridge, and 5½ S.W. of St. Paul's Cathedral. It has stations on the South-Western, London and Brighton, and London, Chatham, and Dover railways. It is situated on the road from London to Kingston, at the confluence of the river Wandle with the Thames, from which circumstance it derives its name."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]