An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Wandsworth
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"WANDSWORTH, a parish, town, and suburban district of the metropolis, in the W. division of Brixton hundred, county Surrey, 3¾ miles from Vauxhall Bridge, and 5½ S.W. of St. Paul's Cathedral. It has stations on the South-Western, London and Brighton, and London, Chatham, and Dover railways. It is situated on the road from London to Kingston, at the confluence of the river Wandle with the Thames, from which circumstance it derives its name." (There is more of this description).[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.